Wednesday, January 24, 2007

World round up.

Here are a couple of good reasons not to give the Conservatives a majority in Ottawa. Scary is not used enough to describe Harper and his gang. http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/174152

I usually check out my old stamping grounds by going to www.smh.com.au most days. In summer you always get the hype about snake/spider/shark attaches.
This one via BBC is out of the ordinary for sure http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6289489.stm
Wont link the Oz papers as things have gotten out of control with the Americanization of the whole thing.
I know the area of the attach well, we used to go to that area and surf but mainly to fish. In one local there was a popular spot that attracted people who fished for sharks off a rocky point [poor mans big game fishing,] but not my cup of tea. Some huge sharks were reeled in there. Paradoxically, a popular swimming beach was only about half a mile away on the other side of the point.

Slithering back to snakes; snake bites are becoming more common. The worst drought in 100 years is forcing many animals into the built up and suburban areas looking for moister. In the last little while a number of people have been bitten by eastern brown snakes, with one death and the rest in very serious condition. Eastern browns are one of the deadliest in the world, they are also very numerous, though most don’t know this as they are shy and keep out of peoples way, unless thirsty it would seem. Another example of man reaping what he sows, eh?

This next link has potential for NL sheep growers http://www.votelamb.com.au/index.html I’d hitch my wagon to this movement if I was them. Killing lambs is not as vilified as killing seals, tastes better too imo. Thank you Baz for the link, Baz likes Resches beer, so do I.
It would be a great way to grow the industry; there are big markets in the Mediterranean countries, the antipodes, England. One would have to wean the English off mutton, but that just makes one work harder at promotion.
I can attest to the quality and taste of “local” sin john’s grown lamb, I order two every year with my freezer order.
I would now like to offer up my name as a “handler” for the first Lamb trade mission down under.

No comments: