Saturday, March 26, 2011

Animal instincts.

It warmed up a bit yesterday; to -6 but the wind is constant keeping the air on the chilly side.



Siutik and I took a walk in the afternoon, Fran being busy with luncheon with the judge, translating for some elders and visiting Carter.

We headed out on the ice and over around the ball park and then on around to the little bay below the power plant. This is where the ice is coring into the bay from the brook that feeds from Anainuks pond.

It looked a but iffy for walking as the ice comes right up to the shore but I followed a beaten ski doo trail hoping for the best.

As I was half way along the underfoot was getting a little wet and mushy but no big deal.

I looked for Siutik, who usually is ahead and doing dog things. No Siutik, so looking back here she was a ways back and standing still.

I urged her on, no movement, urged her again and she gingerly made towards me with head down.


Hmm, what’s this about I wonders.


As it looked like this was going to take awhile I decided to turn back, Siutik immediately took off too doing her big looping runs and rolling in the snow.


So what better way to replenish lost energy than a repast of breaded butterfly shrimp and cod tongues with some steamed mussels accompanied by slivers of baked potato and yams?


Today we await some forecasted snow and high winds over the next few days, no snow yet but the winds are there.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could it be that your dog sensed there was something wrong with the ice? She sounds very intellegent. We have a lot of trouble with folks going ice-fishing too late into the spring and ending up having to be rescued as the lake ice breaks up with them still on it! No self respecting dog puts itself in danger.
from Lynne in St. Catharines

Brian said...

She sensed something was not right for sure. As we came around the point there was loud cracking noises as the ice shifted, but seeing we were along the shore the worse case was me going down to knee height in slush.
Always bow to animal instincts any way.

Shammickite said...

She's a good girl, looking after you like that. I am always nervous walking on ice, even in the middle of the coldest winter... I like to keep my feet on dry land.

Rick and Karen of the vessel WANDERBIRD said...

Hey Brian. Aliasuttuk Inolivik to Fran! Coffee's in the box....soon to go on it's way North. Cheers!

Brian said...

Multi lingual couple eh, Greenlandic is it. Fran says thanks very much, and I do too for sending coffee.