Friday, May 15, 2009

Ornithologicaly speaking.

Early days of spring indicate that this could be a good year for local bird watchers. There are several types of sparrows zooming around amongst the willows and open spaces. Snow birds are still around too and there was a picture on facebook of a mourning dove taken in the middle of town the other day.
We had several good years for some unusual varieties then last year it dropped off to just the normal gray jay and robin. Though I have not seen the usual flock of jays in our area, thought it may be the large population of ravens keeping them away, but they have moved on just leaving the resident pairs.
So let’s hope we get some interesting sightings.

I seem to have stumbled on a very neet gourmet meal. I was digressing about trying to think of something for last nights supper; having a guest has some responsibilities. I had already done up a large batch of stewed zucchini/tomato/onion, but what next.

We were down in Northern while the fresh supplies were being put out. They are starting to get various fresh herbs lately, this time they had bunches of savory/oregano and mint, but at 4.99 I passed. The were some nice bunches of Swiss chard, having never cooked chard I decided to buy a bunch and it was better value than the herbs.
So what to have with the chard. I suggested to Fran we have a meatless meal. That went over like a big lump of fried okra.
So I said what?
Bologna was the answer.

The new gourmet meal includes fried bologna, swish chard, sautéed portabella mushrooms and stewed zucchini/tomato/onion. The different taste sensations just seemed to blend in quite nicely.
I am going to call it Bologna Francois.

The Innu Nation has announced it will be taking over the running of the schools in their two Labrador communities come next school year.

Mean time back in Nunatsiavut.

Later;
At this point in time there is no podcast of Minister Trevor Tailor’s interview on Labrador Mornings ‘the road ahead’ series. This is a shame as I was awake at the start of the live interview but dozed off soon after, awoke just before 7.30.

Later later; The podcast of Trevor Tailor's interview is up. I am flabbergasted that nothing is close to being set in stone for new shipping configuration's, they have known this was coming for years, yet still nothing. This comes with so many changes in Ministers partly.

4 comments:

Shammickite said...

I think I'd love that dinner except for the bologna! Fran could have my portion.

dannytoro1 said...

You must be watching us here! We started some of our crops indoors this year. We had some veggies ready for early picking, but not enough for a full meal. So we pulled some Speckled Butter Beans and Snap Peas, about 14 young okra pods, added some thick sliced bacon and simmered them away in the crock pot all afternoon. Then I baked up some cornbread to go with them last night. That was grub last night.

Brian said...

The more traditional way up here and I believe in NL is with potatoes, peas and lots of ketchup, everything in moderation is OK.

Be awhile before I can boast of the home grown crop sure.

WJM said...

Even if the ministers hadn't changed, they'd be dragging their feet on the transportation issue. There are too many oxen to gore, and Danny's need to be loved by everyone, always, makes Him allergic to hard decisions like this.