Sunday, April 26, 2009

After a respite from the snow yesterday more is falling this morning, quite heavy at times. More slush and muck to come, goes with the season.

The snow buntings have all but moved on, just the odd small pod and even some lone soles dropping in for a feed.

Northern store has some, what for us are exotic vegetables and fruit. Asian pears [I had to ask], mango's and papaws, bundles of fresh herbs like flat leaf parsley, mint and rosemary. I only bought some rosemary to have with chicken, or perhaps partridge. I did buy a Savoy cabbage, goes well in coleslaw and last evening I made up some cabbage rolls.
I blanched the leaves first and removed the hard bottom part of the core. Made a filling of three types of sausage, some rosemary, fresh tomato, parmesan cheese and the diced core of the cabbage.

Rolled the leaves around the filling, placed them in oven proof dish and topped them with some of my stewed tomato/onion/zucchini.

Our German guest said they tasted like restaurant food back home….. what can I say.

Amendation: Fran remembers the statement as, "this is better than restaurants back home". I stand corrected.

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

It must have been good!
Now that I am living on my own, I don't do much cooking, but once my kitchen renovation is completed with my new fancy gas stove intalled, I'll be having dinner parties every night!