Monday, December 03, 2007

Quite Monday musings.

We missed the fury of the latest storm passing through the province, the east portion of the Island of Newfoundland and Labrador seemed to get the worst of it.
The northern section of the mainland part of the province called Labrador got about 10cm of snow but most of that was blown away. Any way enough of the smarmy wise cracks.

It is quite calm today, people are asking where is the “Astron”, hear of any caribou around, construction on different projects carries on, Nunatsiavut Government employees have a holiday for Nunatsiavut Day. Normality is kind of comforting.

I see from my stats that quite a few people down in the US of A are entering ‘Moravian Star’ in their search engines. One person entered ‘seal pie’ in Cochran Ontario. Some one in Greece entered ‘first minister Nunatsiavut’, what’s that about I wonder.

But the best for last, I had an e mail yesterday from a friend [and regular visitor to our town] that lives in Quebec City. Said visitor mentioned that they miss my Sunday cooking efforts, and could I please help out on the ingredients for Jigs Dinner. Said person mentioned some of the ingredients that were already on the boil but wanted to check if they had them all.
Well they had the vegetables down pat, alas pork was in there, no salt beef, so I suggested they had just invented a new dish. I’m waiting to hear how it turned out.


I do not know the details of this story; it is interesting if just that it highlights the community involvement in Innu communities of things that affect their daily lives.
While Innu politics may not be perfect, and who’s are, I have always admired the bottom up actions that the Innu take. They don’t need some overpaid elected officials or autocrat to tell them what action to take, it just happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree our Nunatsiavt government a joke no spine.Need to be more like the innu in ome regard.When dealing with big companies,andNL government