Saturday, December 22, 2007

3 more sleeps. Bits about this n that.

Mild again, -7, cloudy, wind WSW up to 45 Clicks.

Last night I was abandoned by all.

As is my want I retired reasonably early. At about 12.30AM I awoke, as is my want, only this time I felt a strangeness to the house.
Fran was not in bed as yet, [usually watches scary movies on weekends], but that was not it. It was the quietness that I felt. I new that grandson Matthew was sleeping over, still the quietness bothered me for some reason.

On arising I walk out into the hall, low and behold Matthew and Grandma are sound asleep cutting logs in the larger spare bedroom. Sound asleep on the floor next to Matthew is me dog, darn.

I whisper “what’s this then”. Only Siutik bothers to raise her head, gives me a look as if to say “oi, we be sleeping er mate”, and plops her head down again.
So all was well after all.

Harping on, and back to, to my posts on the ‘food by mail’ program; this here highlights what it is all about.
For those who don’t know, Nunavik is the Inuit region next to, or closest to Nunatsiavut.

It is encouraging that these studies were done there.
I am not aware [but there could be] of similar studies done in our region. The results could be quite startling if they were.
Labrador Inuit have had a longer relationship with outside cultures and influences than Inuit in Northern Quebec.

One thing that stands out in the study, and I see the effects of it here, is the fact that the traditional diet lacked enough calcium resulting in problems with bones, especially later in life.
On the other hand the traditional diet had many pluses in relation to the modern store bought foods easily available.

So quite a bit of work is yet to be done in making the healthier foods more accessible and cost effective. In the new year I will be picking up that ball again, I hope the powers that be in Nunatsiavut and the other players can see the short and long term benefits in changing some of the ‘rules’ and 'practises' and working towards a cheaper healthier food supply to the communities.

No comments: