Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ice Creamy diversions

Like many I like a scoop of ice cream at times. I have noticed that over the last several years the choice of available brands of tubed ice cream had decreased to the stage of just one brand [the same brand] in three stores. To me this brand is of inferior quality, I know other brands are available in Labrador
so last week I took around a letter to two of the managers asking why we are treated differently.
To the managers credit I got very quick responses, verbally. The rational was one of freezer space, pricing, and in one case, had not thought to request any other brand. Both mentioned that other brands come in smaller sizes than the one that is in stock. Both managers said they would approach upper management to see if other brands could be brought in.

I understand storage may be an issue, though not one that could not be dealt with by rationalizing other stock.

By trying to rationalize the lack of choice by using pricing and size of containers is one I take offence at. Sending in the cheapest of anything in the interest of the consumer does not wash with me, and I’m sure many other consumers.
I did a quick take on some food items in both stores to prove my case, these items have been available all winter, and have been selling.

Northern Store:

Sea scallops $58.79 a KG, in .275 KG packets.
Shrimp $56.49 a KG, in .210 KG packets.
Cod Fillets $22.79 a KG, in .507 KG packets.
T Bone $28.79 a KG.
Chicken Breasts $17.39 a KG.

Big Land grocery:

Price per KG not marked on any items, just the total cost of any item.
$3.50 for two very small chicken thighs.
$8.77 for 3 small cod fillets.
$8.50 for a small wing steak.
$8.28 for a t bone.
$17.12 for packet of pork ribs.
Much of the frozen foods in Big Land are of very suspect quality, lot of items look very much like it is old stock and or has been partly thawed and re frozen.

I know conditions are worse in Somalia, Darfur and other places in the world. We are in Canada and part of the so called booming province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Labrador’s resources contribute greatly to both governments coffers; all I’m hoping for is equitable treatment for the people of the coastal communities.

Upetydate: I just priced the Blarh brand of ice cream at "Big Land" grocery. $7.99 for 2 litres. $8.99 for 4 litres. So it's true, size does matter.

No comments: