Thursday, March 23, 2006

Global warming? what to do about it.

Nain gets a brief mention in this story on global warming in the north.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/21/AR2006032101722.html

Coincidently, just last week I was in a conversation with a leader of the Nunatsiavut Government, I broached the subject of alternative energy, and how was the new government handling the issue of trying to reduce green-house gas omissions and at same time reduce our dependency on diesel generators for producing our electricity.

I wish I could say his answers were surprising, alas they were not. Seems the new government has had discussions on alternative energy, but mainly from perspective of making money. They are looking at the feasibility of supplying the mine at Voisey’s Bay with hydro generated power, and if it is a go perhaps a line over to Nain.

I asked, “well what about other communities”? “What about wind generated power”?
It seems the New Government is relying on information from Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro [NLH] for advice in this area. I pointed out that NLH has most likely the worst record in Canada in regards to promoting anything other than large scale hydro projects, and that Canada is behind most of the world in encouraging the use of renewable energy. This information is; the cost of replacing diesel generation with wind power, either wholly or partly, would not result in any cost saving to the consumer, or may cost more. Well I say, “what about the cost to the environment if nothing is done”, what about the term ‘peak oil’, what about the cost of ‘peak oil’ ten years down the road, has this been factored in” No answer was forth coming.
Seems there have been other discussions of what the future may hold regards energy, but I am not encouraged from what I heard. All are long term, and when you get all sorts of rationales NOT TO DO things when you put out suggestions, then it is time to worry.

So I guess the gist of my rant is; I am some what befuddled when I see the words ‘Inuit relationship with the land and the environment’. From my vantage point here in Northern Labrador I see an erosion of this relationship that is very troubling to me. I see very little pro action, or encouragement, to protect what we are very lucky to have. From local all the way to provincial government there are few visible signs that any one really gives a hoot, it’s the old first world axiom of, “it’s the economy stupid”, and be dammed with the rest. With some exceptions the population is also very laze-a-fair in their attitudes and their treatment of the environment. We have an ever increasing influx of large horse power snowmobiles and outboard engines. Same with vehicles. We burn our garbage and the dump is leaching into a small bay that is a popular char fishing area. We dump raw sewage into the harbor not far from the town dock. There is an ever increasing amount of plastic bags, discarded plastic containers, tins, you name it, constantly scatted around town.

To be continued.

1 comment:

Table Mountains said...

were seeing signs of global warming here also.each summer humming birds are appearing in our garden.snowy white egrets and other bird species are appearing and staying.blue herons,dozens of them keep returning every year.my father never saw tose birds in his day.