Sunday, September 10, 2006

I know where I was.

This morning five years ago I was laying in bed in my sister Pam’s spare bedroom in Asquith, Sydney. I was suffering from a bad head cold caught up in the Blue Mountains the week previous.
In a funk of half sleep and half awake I’d bee listening to what I thought was some sort of radio play take off of “War of the Worlds. Some over hyped on air persons describing planes crashing into tall buildings and the chaos those acts brought.

The rest of the house sounded rather quite, so I forced myself up and staggered out into the living room. The Television was on and the three others in the house were watching in silence as re plays of planes crashing into the world trade centre in NY City.

It still took some time for all of us to realize this was not a play of any kind, unless you count power play.

Sad that so many people died and suffered, then and since. Doubly sad that that day unleashed on the world so many crazed zealots with initials like ABL, SH, GWB, DR, RP, TB, JH and now SH.

PS Sydney is 13 hours ahead of us here.

No comments: