Monday, May 29, 2006

Change of pace, or taste.



I had some left over mashed potato with chopped onion, so decided to make up some zucchini potato cakes. This recipe made 4 cakes.

11/2 cups left over mashed potato with chopped onion.
1/2 medium zucchini, peeled, grated, with water pressed out of them.
1 egg whisked up.
1 teaspoon oregano
Fresh ground black pepper

I mixed all the ingredients up well, the mixture was a little moist, so I added 1/3 cup bran flakes to absorb some of the moister.

Made the mixture into 4 cakes about 3/4 inch thick.
Gently coat cakes in flour, I used some 12 grain flour, but any flour would do.

In medium fry pan heat cooking oil

Fry until brown, turn carefully and brown other side.

Place on paper towel placed in heat proof pan; keep warm until ready to serve.

I had this with shake n bake chicken and fresh asparagus, accompanied by a nice French red, a 2004 Chateau Arnaud Minervois to be precise.

Fran had baked spuds with her meal, so more cakes for me. Alas I was not so lucky with the wine, had to share it equally.

No comments: