Friday, July 13, 2007

Holiday Day3.

Starting out warm, might be some showers later. Looking at Nain weather it seems things are shaping up for a long coolish summer. Ice as all but gone off the coast so boats should have no problems.


We did the walk up Signal Hill yesterday; part of it was on the side of the road, then onto some groomed trails, then onto rough track. Fran was right at home on the roughest parts [shades of her youth in Hopedale].




The “re enactment” of some battle and how they lived back then was getting under way on our decent, Fran not keen on this type of historical stuff, no puzzle to me but seems to be to others.

I better fess up before Fran blows the whistle; we did not actually make it to the top look out.
Just below the peak I started to get vertigo, the trail was getting close to the edge, with the entrance to harbor and the ocean begging I started to feel dizzy. I stopped a few times and started up again, but with the trail winding around even closer to the edge I decided to go back down. No argument from Fran, but she did seem to get even closer to the edge and talked about all the big climbs up Hopedale hill when she was a kid.
It’s a dam shame I could not do some more of the trails up there, the net work is quite extensive and I can see why people often have to be “brought down”, especially if it was foggy.
[I got to just below the knob to right of the tower, truust me, it's a steep drop off]. I know Aimee will have a good laugh when she finds this out.

Any way we had a good work out, including the shops and the gawking and the heat it was good to get back to the abode for a cool down.





No comments: