Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Something borrowed, something tasty, something old.

The picture of the moose I borrowed.

Silpa Saurak snapped the moose at the back of here house yesterday, one of the last homes up in the new subdivision.
The original was rather washed out so I did some work on it, still not great but the moose is visible amongst the flora.

The picture of the bangers and chicken is because of the home made creamed asparagus, tasty too.


The cannons, well, this picture is from the Bridget Schloss collection. It was taken in early 1980's at Nain.

I remember the cannons being there when I first arrived in town. Some time prior to that the cannons were fired when the first boat of the season arrived. Perhaps the mv Harmony was the last vessel that receive this kind of welcome.

In my time here the brass band used to play on the first boat arrival, at almost the same spot as the cannons. That pomp and circumstance has been curtailed for some years now.


Sadly the cannons have since disappeared, some say they were berried under landfill.

3 comments:

WJM said...

Did you report the moose citing to CBC or 590 VOCM?

Brian said...

Darn, slipped my mind, but I did tweet it the other day.

Shammickite said...

I love the story of the cannons being fired to welcome the first boat of the season... too bad they aren't there any more, traditions like that should be kept!
Some friends of mine have a cottage on an island, and every summer Sunday afternoon the whole family dresses up in pirate outfits and fires a cannon at the local tourist boat.