Saturday, February 14, 2009





Sue H befriended Fran when Fran first arrived in Nain back in the late 1970’s, Sue has remained a good friend [even if she is allergic to cats] ever since.
Sues family and friends organized a surprise birthday party for her at the hall Friday evening, we were invited.

It is the traditional way of celebrating milestones here, family and friends do the cooking and decorating, the meal is sometimes a buffet style and sometimes a service one. I prefer the buffet and by the look of the piled plates last evening so does most other folk………. don’t worry mine was piled high too.
The food was great, two soups, partridge and chicken a vegetable then caribou, turkey, sweet & sour meatballs, vegetables, macaroni something or other, peas pudding, bread rolls, gravy and some other stuff I did not have. Plenty was left over for doggy bags.
Several deserts and of course the cake to be cut at the end.

A slide show of old photographs, kids grandkids and great grandkids was the highlight.





Later in the evening a dance with live band was held at the hotel, we did not go to that.

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

A great way for a community to celebrate a birthday of someone who is obviously loved and respected! Happy Birthday a bit belated to Sue. The cake looks good!
I've been following the news and various blogs about the Australian fires, it's amazing how fast the fire travelled, one minute it was in the distance and the next minute it was beating at the front door. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone who has been affected. I was in Healesville at the nature reserve 4 years ago.... and I hear that Healesville was one of the places that had bad fires.
I skipped back a few posts and read the story of Abaham Ulrikab, didn't the same thing happen to some of the Beothuk in Newfoundland too? What a sad story.
Yes the kitchen will cost quite a bit to renovate, but I reckon putting some cash into my house is the safest investment right now. I can enjoy a nice kitchen for 3 or 4 years and then when I decide to sell, which I will eventually cos this house is too big for only one person, it will be a selling feature.