Monday, April 07, 2008

Back is a pain in the .......

So the weekend was amazing weather wise, today is same and for the near future. It’s up to +7 already, great for hunting fishing, just getting out.

For me not so, Saturday morning I was rappelling down this 200 foot cliff……………………….

OK, I was going out the front door and not paying proper attention when I tripped, not sure how, but my head was heading for the edge of storage draws in the front porch [it’s a 2 foot drop from the inner door to the porch floor]. I managed to put my left hand out to stop the head hitting, this worked, my left knee hit hard on the floor stopping any more forward motion, and my back gave out an awful pain filled protest.

After resting and getting over the initial shock I accessed the damage, left knee just scratched, pants ripped, left thumb badly sprained at the bottom joint and my back giving major pain preventing me from walking more than a few feet for two days.
Some self administered chiropractic has eased the pain and the pressure on the nerves [I think]; another few days should tell if I have to go out for treatment. I have the thumb taped to the hand leaving my typing finger free, so all not too bad.

So not long after my fall the council managed to get the water back on, about 11.30 I seem to remember. The hole has been filled in and all is left of the hole is shown in the picture. It will get messier this being spring n all.

Nominations close at noon today for the election of president of Nunatsiavut. At the moment there have been three people nominated, I will wait till later to put them out.

This will be the first time the people of Nunatsiavut will have an opportunity to vote for the position of president. The present incumbent [who is suspended] was a roll over from the LIA days.
It will also mean that there will be a change at the top for the first time in over 25 years. Two people took turns in being elected as president of LIA, and by extension Nunatsiavut, change is as good a holiday they say.

An uncle of mine, [lets call him Dave] who lives in the burbs of Brisbane recently visited my Mom n Dad down in the burbs of Sydney. While in Sydney Dave and his wife took my mom over to a family reunion of of the Cavanough ‘first fleeters’ clan. Dave has been doing quite a bit of research into the family genealogy the last several years so he wanted to see what he could find out about our ancestors.

My mom met another Cavanough descendant who was raised in an area in rural Queensland where me mom went to boarding school [they moved around a lot my Grandfather being an old bill]. They had a long chat reminiscing the good old days in that area.

They also learnt that we also have some connection to the Turnbull family shown in the other picture, more work needs to be done on that Dave tells me.


Bottom photos by K. McMahon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turnbulls settled in southern Labrador as well,there's still lots in Charlettetown,they lived in and around Hawk Bay and Hawk Harbour where the whale processing plant was.There's still a Ralph Turnbull in Charlettetown with a son named Ralph.

Anonymous said...

William 3rd been top honcho that long!!??

Brian said...

Annon1, Thanks for that info. So add that to the Williams down that way and maybe there is some interesting research to be done.

Annon2, what I said was there were two people taking turns the last 25 years. WA3 and W. Barbour took up most of the years as head honchos of LIA and then Nunatsiavut Government.
Sam Andersen was in there briefly in that time frame, not sure if he was elected or was appointed as interim during a previous discretion by the sitting president of the day.
Tony [pony] Andersen has been bumped up to interim President twice in recent history.