Monday, January 08, 2007



At the risk of sounding politically correct, the weather has been rather anomalous of late.
Everybody and his dog seem to be talking about the weather of too. At one time it was mainly people who spent time on the land or water, or those luckless townies in St.John’s, now it is the cause celeb, maybe something is happening out there. I have long been of the view that man can not keep abusing mother earth and get away with it, I now have the view that I was right.

Any way we had some nice snow falls over the weekend, officially only 5.4cm fell, but I’m sure there was more than that. No wind to speak of either, but it is picking up today.
We had temperatures way above the normals, High of .07 and a low of -6.3 yesterday. Compare that to the norms of -16 and –25 you get a sense of what it has been like in January, to date.

Some picture I took this morning just after sun up, we usually have snow up to the bottom of window sill, and the willows are usually covered by this time of year.
The other is of neighbor’s house, their in throws of building an ice candle walk up to the door, big ice candles I know, but it will/would look spectacular if it ever gets finished. I’m betting on it melting long before it gets completed, but then I was wrong once before.

2 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

Never heard of "ice candles" before. The pic gives me the concept. How tall do you normally make them? Are they internally illuminated?

Brian said...

I got the idea of ice candles a few years ago from a friend in Ottawa. What you do is fill metal cans, [I used smooth 13 oz coffee cans] with water, water freezes from outside in; when you reach required ice thickness you dump the rest of the water out. Another way is to freeze em solid, then use a large diameter drill bit to chew out the centre. I have used food color for effect too.
I put candles in them; place them in the snow, maybe build a snow have for each one, presto a unique decoration.

These ones next door are made from 5 gallon containers, not sure what type of illumination will be used in these, he said he is thinking of using electric bulbs, but whatever, it will be quite effective.