Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Boiling mad boy.


I’m becoming more disturbed [pissed off] the more I learn about this slaughter of protected caribou in the Labrador Quebec border area.

The regional ecologist for the NL government was very descriptive and also disturbed in his radio interview on CBC HV-GB this morning. He said they are distributing the story along with photographs in the area and into the communities in Quebec in the hope the Q media will pick up on the story. Also that this tactic may prompt some one who knows people involved will get the guts [my words] to do something about it. He went on to say that there is good reason to believe that the perps are using a plane to spot the caribou, then radio in for the shooters to come in on snow mobile.

One of the sub herds had a deer with a satellite collar, the collar was found amongst the carcasses.

I’m just surmising here, but it could be that this is a big operation, so perhaps the meat is going outside the area, only choice cuts from the hind legs and rump are taken.

I have only heard of this type of thing once up this way. Some years back some white trash shot deer after flying in, they took the choice cuts just like these latest incidents.

It may be asking too much, but I wonder why the three MHA’s in the region whose districts cover that area, plus the MP for Labrador have not been jumping up and down no end. Then the mayors in the area, and the ministers for those jurisdictions, hunter groups, Aboriginal groups etc should all be condemning, getting involved as well as demanding immediate action.

The Quebec government had no trouble jumping in to defend a golf course development. The NL government had no trouble sending in SWAT teams to defend mineral exploration. So why no action to defend three threatened caribou herds.
Oh right, no royalties, no mining taxes, no pay roll taxes, no political gain.
On a none less controversial topic: I do not know Jim Nui, nor are my intentions to interfere in Innu politics. But I just have to put the this link up for no other reasons that I love the song, [one of my all time favorites] and I think it very innovative for a Northern Labrador political event.

No comments: